Friday, January 11, 2013

Here's the story of a pregnant lady...

I hope you read that in the tune of The Brady Bunch theme song. And  I hope that it's stuck in your head now :) You're welcome.

Anyway, as I'm sure you all know, there is another human being growing inside me. It's been growing for 13 almost 14 weeks now. I want to tell you how we came to find out about this little peanut. Well, actually now it's a lemon. Anyway, it wasn't your typical, missed period, pee on stick, 2 pinks lines pop up sort of story. This is what happened. (prepare for some over sharing)


Pretty much ever since we had Carson I have been wanting another baby. We talked about it a lot and prayed about it and finally decided to start trying after our trip to Disney World in May. Car would be 18 months old and we felt good about it. Well May rolled around and we both felt that it just wasn't time yet and to regroup once Carson turned 2 in October. Carson's 2nd birthday rolled around and decided it was time to start trying. We went into it wanting a second baby and trusting that if it was the right time then the Lord would bless us. Well, I guess it was the right time because we got pregnant right away. Here's the thing though, I didn't know. I've never had regular cycles. Like ever. I could be 3 weeks to 3 months late and never be pregnant. So when I was a few days late I didn't think anything of it. The thought of maybe I'm pregnant never even crossed my mind.

I started having a sharp pain in my left ovary. I figured I was close to starting so I brushed it aside. It just didn't go away though and I felt uneasy about it. I called and made an appointment with my GP just to make sure everything was okay. We dropped Carson off at my moms and Rob and I went to the appointment. The doc examined me and wanted me to pee in a cup. I did my business and the doctor came back in and said, "Your pregnancy test came back positive so I think you're having and ectopic pregnancy and you need to go the emergency room right away."

Rob and I just kind of sat there staring at her for a minute before saying, oookay....and leaving. A little word of advice, when diagnosed with something, don't google it. I was pretty freaked out. If it was an ectopic pregnancy I could loose my fertility. We decided we needed to get me to the ER right away. Luckily for me, my hottie hubster is an EMT so he was able to call dispatch and have an ambulance come get me. I really didn't want to go via ambulance but I didn't want to have to sit in the ER waiting room for 7 hours and let's me honest, in my mind, my body was filling up with blood and I was about to loose a Fallopian tube. We lucked out and the EMT's transporting me we 2 of Rob's friends and the sweetest guys ever!

We got the hospital and were checked in right away. They drew blood and sent me over the ultra sound. It was pretty nerve racking because as the tech was doing the ultra sounds, she didn't say one word. Not a single thing. Oh and the screen was behind me so I couldn't see anything. After that was done we waited for what seemed to be hours and the doc finally came in. He told us that they didn't see anything in the ultra sound. The pregnancy was too early to be able to see anything but my blood work did indicate that my HCG levels were higher than normal. He told me he didn't know what was going on. He said I could be about to have a miscarriage. He never said, I could just be in the early stages of pregnancy.

We left the hospital feeling so unsure of everything. Was I pregnant? Was I going to stay pregnant? Was the pain just from a cyst? I don't think I've ever felt more confused and had so many questions that couldn't be answered. My mom picked Rob and I up from the hospital (he rode with us in the ambulance) and Rob headed to work for the night. On the way home I stopped at the store and bought an at home pregnancy test. Okay, I bought 3. My thought was, maybe I can just take the test and forget about today.

I took the test and it came up positive! Yay! I have to say though, I was still unsure about everything until we went in when I was 9 weeks along for my first OB appointment. I didn't feel at ease until Dr. S did the ultra sound and there was our baby. Wiggling all around. We could see the heartbeat perfectly. That's when it sunk in. We're doing this. We're bringing a second child into our family. I still look at those ultrasound pictures in awe.

I have more feeling and thoughts I would like to express but I'll save those for other blog posts. This one is already running on.

And that, is how we came to find out that we're expecting! Stay tuned, baby coming this summer! July to be exact!!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations you two! Lots of love from the Richardsons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that was a scary beginning... but it makes for a great story! Now your child will be able to say, "When my mom got pregnant with me, she got to take an ambulance ride!" ;) Love you and I am so excited for this new addition to the Ganem & Heaton & Skenandore clans!

    ReplyDelete