Friday, July 19, 2013

Labor and delivery...Turbo style

Friday started out as any normal day. Rob was off work but he had to get a physical for the police and pick up some paper work so he was gone. Carson come into my room and said with the sweetest smile on his face, "Hi mom! Ready to play?" I love waking up to that. A happy, smiling toddler. Love burst! I rolled my big, extremely uncomfortable body out of bed and we started our day. I had an appointment at 3:50 and I was hoping and praying that I would be dilated more. At my appointment the week before I was a 3 and 75 percent effaced. We went to the Dr. and she checked me and said I was a 4 and 90 percent effaced! Progress! I told her about Rob's new job and how he is starting on August 1st and how worried I was that the baby was going to come late and we wouldn't have much time home as a family before Rob starts the academy and is basically gone for 4 months. She stripped my membranes and told me that if I hadn't delivered by Monday to call and schedule an induction. I left feeling hopeful that something would start happening. 

Fast forward to 8:30 that night. First contraction hits and it's painful. 5 minutes later, another one. 3 minutes later another. I tell Rob and he is ready to go! I however, am not. I may or may not have been loading the dishwasher in between contractions.  I had called my mom and told her to meet us at the house but a few minutes later Rob called her and they decided it would be best if she met us at the hospital. (Thank goodness!) The contractions were coming fast and hard so we scrambled to get into the car and go. Carson could sense that something exciting was going on so he was super silly and being hilarious. Let me tell you, laughing while contracting is not fun but when your two year old is mimicking your breathing you can't help but laugh. On the way to the hospital my contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting a minute. Rob said he may or may not have been going 80+ miles per hour but I didn't even notice, or care. 


We got to the hospital around 9:30 and they took me right back to a room. (Funny side note: My nurse was a girl I went to high school with) The nurse checked me and said I was a 5 and she stretched me to a good 6 or 7. Ew and ow. She started my IV and said that the first bag had to be finished before I could get the epidural. By 10:30 my water had broken the IV back was almost empty and the anesthesiologist came in. He gave me my epidural and I was just waiting for relief but it never came. My contractions were pretty unbearable and way stronger and more painful then they ever were when I was in labor with Carson. I started feeling like I was going to throw up so I turned on my side and Rob held the little bucket for me. Every time I gagged I could feel baby coming out. It was lovely. Not. Between gags I was saying, "He's coming out!" "I can feel him coming! I'm crowing! Help me!" The nurse kept telling me to just take deep breaths but I couldn't! He was coming and I knew it! Finally the dr came in and said, "Let's just go for it." "Go ahead and push!" They didn't break down the bed or anything.  So push I did and holy pain!!! I have never experienced anything even remotely painful like that In. My. Life. It hurt so bad I couldn't see or hear.  Yikes. *shudder* At 10:53 my sweet boy was born. 7 pounds 8 ounces. A pound smaller than Carson and I am SO grateful! I don't think I could have pushed him out if he was bigger.

To sum everything up, my labor and delivery was about 2 hours and I might as well have gone natural. The epidural never kicked in. I will forever wonder why anyone would choose to feel that pain. We also decided that from here on out my deliveries will be scheduled! 

We are obsessed with our little Cole and are so happy he is here safe and sound! 

No comments:

Post a Comment